Friday 2 January 2015

A news that no one would expect.....

Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool: Team-mates pay tribute to Reds skipper as he confirms departure

Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli are among the Anfield players to sing the praises of their talismanic captain

Action ImagesSteven Gerrard celebrates with team mates after scoring the first goal from the penalty spot
Skipper: Gerrard celebrates his brace against Leicester
Steven Gerrard's Liverpool team-mates have paid tribute to the Reds legend after the club confirmed he will leave in the summer.
Adam Lallana said: "I grew up watching him. To my best mates, he's their legend. For me to be playing alongside him, not just for England, but with club as well has been quite surreal really."
Emre Can said: "I've learnt lots from him. Steven is the greatest captain Liverpool have ever had and I feel comfortable on the pitch because I always know he is behind me.
"I hope to be similar to Gerrard, but it isn't going to be easy because he has been so successful."
Lifelong Red Rickie Lambert hailed Gerrard as "Mr Liverpool", adding he will never be forgotten at Anfield.
GettySteven Gerrard congratulates Rickie Lambert after he scores the equaliser
Mr Liverpool: Fellow scouser Rickie Lambert says Gerrard will never be forgotten
"Stevie is his own man, but he is Mr Liverpool," said the striker. "He's No 1 for me and I think he will always be. He has meant everything to me growing up as a Liverpool fan.
"The nights he has given Liverpool fans are unbelievable. I'll never forget them and I know the Liverpool fans will never forget them."
Vice-captain Jordan Henderson, who will take over as skipper from Gerrard in the summer, has always been struck by his modesty.
Laurence Griffiths
Next in line: Henderson will take over from Gerrard as Reds skipper
"He is a top player, but he is also a top person," he said. "The lads can go to him with anything and he will always help them out and put them first.
"That is massive as a captain. With that aura he's got, he could be a different person, but he's very humble."
Philippe Coutinho said: "I try to observe him in training and his playing style. He's phenomenal. It's a pleasure for me to be playing alongside him."
Action ImagesPhilippe Coutinho celebrates with Steven Gerrard and John Flanagan after scoring their third goal
Phenomenal: Coutinho says it has been a pleasure to play alongside Gerrard
Glen Johnson said: "Steven has been a fantastic player for many years and what he has done for Liverpool Football Club is just huge."
Mario Balotelli likened Gerrard to Andrea Pirlo and claimed it will be very hard for Liverpool to replace him.
"I think of him as being at the same level as Pirlo," he said. "Vision, technique, but he is powerful as well.
"Stevie can do anything, he's an amazing player. It's going to be very difficult for the team to find another player like him in the future."
REUTERS/Phil NobleSteven Gerrard
Amazing: Balotelli says Gerrard can 'do anything'
Lucas said: "When you see the name Steven Gerrard, you automatically think Liverpool Football Club. He really is the symbol of the club.
"He is a player who has always valued the club too. I've never played with a player as complete as him."
Jon Flanagan said: "Steven Gerrard was my hero growing up, so to run out and play with him has been a dream come true."
Daniel Sturridge added: "Stevie will always be a legend, not just for Liverpool, but for England as well.
"He will go down in history as one of the best midfielders in the game. He is just unbelievable every day, a great leader and the perfect example for every young player around the country."
Raheem Sterling said: "He has been brilliant for me. He always looks after me, always checking if I'm all right. He's an inspiration and a great captain."
This report has been coppied by this web site :Website

No comments:

Post a Comment